- Visitor Center and Museum Volunteers: Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance helps to attract, train, and coordinate volunteers for Canyons of the Ancients National Monument and at the Visitor Center and Museum.
- Volunteer opportunities at the Visitor Center and Museum include helping at the information desk, the museum shop, Master Gardeners, and maintenance. To volunteer at the Visitor Center and Museum, please contact Amanda Posey-Monk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-882-5621.
- Another volunteer opportunity includes Curation (archaeological collections management). The Visitor Center and Museum is a federal repository for cultural materials and records recovered in excavations throughout Southwest Colorado. However, only about 20% of these 3.5 million artifacts have been cataloged. Volunteers undergo extensive training in how to handle the artifacts and accurately document them so that they are made available to the many researchers who study them each year. To volunteer in Curation, please contact Bridget Ambler at email@example.com or 970-882-5622.
- The Cultural Site Stewardship Program: SCCA oversees this program which includes almost 60 volunteers who monitor 100 cultural sites on BLM/Canyons of the Ancients National Monument and on other BLM/Tres Rios areas in Southwest Colorado. Stewards report on impact or damage to sites due to human, animal, or natural causes. Contact Diane McBride at 970-560-1643 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wilderness Study Area Monitoring: Canyons of the Ancients National Monument includes three Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs) encompassing 32,835 acres. WSAs are managed to preserve their wilderness value until Congress makes a decision to either designate the areas as wilderness or to release the areas for non-wilderness management. Volunteers hike these remote areas and report on usage. Contact Diane McBride at 970-560-1643 or email@example.com for more information.
- Monument Maintenance and Improvement: From road cleanup to trail maintenance, Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance Volunteers do it all! Maintaining 176,000 acres and a world-class museum takes dedication and energy. Feet on the ground assist Monument personnel to preserve and protect this exceptional landscape and phenomenal museum and research facility. To volunteer on the Monument, please contact Diane McBride at 970-560-1643 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education: Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance will manage the Education Programs at Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum for the 2018-2019 school year. Whether you are a classroom teacher, an educator who would like to be involved, or just interested in training the next generation of caretakers of our landscape and shared heritage, contact email@example.com to learn more.
- Special Events: From the Silver Anniversary to Special Exhibit openings, Southwest Colorado provides assistance to make everyone’s experience delightful. For more information on how you can help, please contact Diane McBride at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-560-1643.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE S.C.C.A.VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK.