EDUCATION MISSION: Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, its Visitor Center and Museum, and Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance (Education Management) promote:
- protection and stewardship of fragile cultural resources.
- an understanding of the Ancestral Pueblo (Anasazi) culture through experiential lessons and activities.
- best archaeological practices that create the least impact on archaeological sites.
- an appreciation of the rich landscape, history, and diverse cultures that create our unique Four corners area.
Education programming at Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum, managed by Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance, provides in-museum, on-the-ground, and outreach programming to local schools (Cortez, Mancos, Dolores, and Dove Creek). Additionally, we manage the Loan Kits offered by the museum. Please click the following links for more information.
MUSEUM EDUCATION: Call the museum at 970-882-5628 to leave a voice message or reach us by email at email@example.com. Plan AT LEAST two weeks in advance.
- GROUP VISITS: What you need to know prior to calling or emailing
- FIELD TRIP PREPARATION: What you, your chaperones, and your students need to know before their trip
- ACTIVITY LIST: What we can offer you
- ESCALANTE PUEBLO CURRICULUM: Lesson plans of most of our museum and on-the-ground activities. Please note that the Gallery Walk has been updated to accommodate the current Gallery offerings.
- EVALUATION FORM: Please let us know how we are doing.
ON THE GROUND EDUCATION: Contact us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org / 970-882-5628.
OUTREACH EDUCATION: Can’t take a field trip? Need more than one day with CAVM activities? Many of our activities can come to your school! Contact us to set an in-school field trip: email@example.com / 970-882-5628.
- OUTREACH ACTIVITY LIST: What we can offer you at school
LOAN KITS: Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum offer five loan kit types: General Survey, Chronological Sequence, Plant Material, Ceramics Typology, and Bear Dance: Window to Ute Culture. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 970-882-5628, or use the booking calendar to reserve.