EDUCATION MISSION: Canyons of the Ancients National Monument and Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance education programs promote:
- protection and stewardship of fragile cultural resources.
- an understanding of the Ancestral Pueblo (Anasazi) culture through experiential lessons and activities.
- best archaeological practices that create the least impact on archaeological sites.
- an appreciation of the rich landscape, history, and diverse cultures that create our unique Four corners area.
Southwest Colorado Canyons Alliance’s education programming provides on-the-ground educational field trips and outreach programming to local schools (Cortez, Mancos, Dolores, and Dove Creek).
ON THE GROUND EDUCATION: Please contact us to arrange guided educational field trips to various locations on Canyons of the Ancients National Monument such as Sand Canyons Trails Areas (including the Castle Rock Pueblo and Saddlehorn Pueblo), Lowry Pueblo, Painted Hand Pueblo. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-676-1095.
OUTREACH EDUCATION: Can’t take a field trip? Need more than one day with CAVM activities? Many of our activities can come to your school! Contact us to set an in-school field trip. Email: email@example.com or call 970-676-1095.
- OUTREACH ACTIVITY LIST: What we can offer you at school
- ESCALANTE PUEBLO CURRICULUM: Complete curriculum for teachers to utilize with students in advance of a field trip to Canyons of the Ancients, during the field trip to the visitor center and museum, and after the field trip.
LOAN KITS: Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum offers five loan kit types: General Survey, Chronological Sequence, Plant Material, Ceramics Typology, and Bear Dance: Window to Ute Culture. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-882-5600.
VISITOR CENTER AND MUSEUM FIELD TRIPS: Call the Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum at 970-882-5600.